We Care Animal Rescue is a small, non-profit shelter and our ability to take in animals is limited by space and available resources. At this time, we can only consider cats for our shelter and sanctuary.
When the shelter is at capacity, staff will continue to place cats on our waiting list and review surrender applications. Please note that it can take anywhere from two weeks to four months or more for us to make adjustments to our waitlist.
We are generally unable to take emergency surrenders, feral cats, or kittens under the age of three months. If you need to place a cat quickly, we encourage you to contact multiple shelters simultaneously.
A Surrender Form must be completed and submitted for consideration. Any cat you would like to surrender should be:
- Up-to-date on rabies and distemper (FVRCP) vaccines
- Tested for FeLV and FIV: We have limited space for FeLV+ cats and are able to accept FIV+ cats at this time.
- Treated for fleas and parasites
- Accompanied by medical records from their veterinarian
If you have questions regarding our surrender requirements, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Priority Policy
To be considered, cats must meet the above list of surrender requirements. Priority will be given in the following circumstances:
- Strays of unknown source or abandoned cats discovered by staff or community members. Additional priority will be given to those found in the St. Helena and Calistoga area.
- Owner surrenders will only be considered in cases involving:
- Elderly pet guardian(s)
- Demonstrable financial hardship
- Evidence of lack of care or an inability to properly care for the animal
- Imminent elective (not health-related) euthanasia cases from other shelters with priority given to Napa County.
- We will consider animals with certain chronic conditions and minor health issues with good prognosis. Due to limited space and resources, advanced medical cases may not be suitable for our sanctuary.
Please note that all incoming animals will require final approval from the Executive Director and Shelter Manager.